Re: alternative to tarballs

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 03:42:45PM +0800, Aldous B Bernardo wrote:
> Hi, Is there an alternative to using tarballs? Something like
> make-kpkg for the kernel. Im having some trobles installing some of my
> tarball since it doenst update the dpkg database. Im having some
> difficulties looking for some deb packages that I opt to use tarballs
> instead ( sometimes there are RPMs but.. no thanks :) )

So basically you want to install software that's not packaged for
Debian, and it would be really nice if you could easily make a package
out of it, right?

If that's the issue, then I strongly recommend taking a look at
checkinstall (http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/).  I just
started using it a few days ago with a Linux From Scratch installation I
started, and it is wonderful.  After compiling the source code as
normal, instead of running "make install" you instead run checkinstall,
which by default runs "make install" and keeps track of every file
modified by the installation.  It then makes a package (Slackware, RPM,
or Debian) with those files, which you can use to easily uninstall or
reinstall the program.

Also, it doesn't have to use "make install" -- you can write your own
script that does everything you want (copying files to the right places,
making symlinks, etc.) and then run checkinstall on the script.  It's an
astonishingly easy way to make your own debs.

--
Thomas J. Hamman
"Thinking: The talking of the soul with itself."