Re: Alt as Meta

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 10:30:37AM +0100, Pat Colbeck wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am running a Woody system and cannot get Alt to work as Meta in
> Xemacs. I have just installed Xemacs and havent added any config for it

I had the same problem a year or so ago and tried quite a few things
but it was the following post [snipped] from this list that finally
got Alt as Meta working for me satisfactorily.

    This problem has come up so many times since hamm started getting used
    that it almost merits its own HOWTO. What's happened is that you've
    upgraded X and now you are using the XKEYBOARD extension. As you've
    noticed, the ALT key now does ALT and the "windows" key is now the
    META key. I've argued several times that this is a bug since it
    changes behavior. Alas no one listens to this raving madman. Where's
    whatcha do (as root):

    sed -e 's/Alt_L/Foo_L/' -e 's/Alt_R/Foo_R/' < /usr/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/us |\
    sed -e 's/Meta_L/Alt_L/' -e 's/Meta_R/Alt_R/' |\
    sed -e 's/Foo_L/Meta_L/' -e 's/Foo_R/Meta_R/' >
    /usr/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/us.new
    mv /usr/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/us /usr/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/us.old
    mv /usr/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/us.new /usr/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/us

    Logout and back in again (restarts X).

Apologies to whoever wrote this, I can't attribute it as I don't
remember who gave the advice but I'm grateful.

You may have to change the "symbols/us" to "symbols/uk"; note that the
first 3 lines are actually one - they've been split.

Jonathan