Re: PS/2 mouse erratic in X and more

> MY PROBLEM: I got the PS/2 mouse to work in the XFree86 setup by
> choosing dev/psaux instead of dev/mouse, and it worked perfectly during
> THAT setup routine.  BUT, when I now boot into X (man was that an
> accomplishment!) the mouse won't move at all at first and then when I
> try to move it, it is very erratic, jumping all over the screen and
> clicking buttons when I don't click.  I've tried using the xmseconfig (I
> have to hit F12 to get a drop down menu and then use the arrow keys and
> tab to navigate X right now) but setting it up just like I did in shell
> mode doesn't work.  I found in the archive a suggestion that gpm was at
> fault and it suggested doing: dpkg -p gpm and purging gpm out
> completely.  I did this but no effect.  Also, I've tried running
> xf86config now that I've purged gpm, but no help.  In fact it made
> things worse:
edit your config file /etc/X11/XF86config and check out the mouse setting.
Your problem sounds like an incorrect protocol.
It should be set to "PS/2" or "IMPS/2" if you have a wheel.

> MY 2nd PROBLEM:  When running xf86config I did something that screwed up
> the resolution as all the text in X looks really grainy now.  I thought
> I picked the same options as when I was in the other XFree86 config
> program (that the CDs run, what is that called by the way, and can I run
> it without doing the whole bloody install a sixth time?)  My monitor can
> do 30-70kHz Horizontal and 50-120Hz vertical. 1024x768 @85Hz is my
> preferred resolution, but it can handle 1280x1024 @60Hz.  I give it
> these custom ranges and I set up all the color depth options with the
> first 3 at just 640x480 and 32bpp or whatever it is with 1024x768
> 800x600 and 640x480 in that order. (432)  What do I run/do to get the
> graphics looking right again?
You should have xf86config on the box. Try that. If it's not there install
the xutils or xbase-clients package. It's in one of those.
You can also edit the above mentioned config file. Under 4.x it's pretty
simple, but if you're running potato, you have 3.3.6

> Also that a PS/2 mouse has to be dev/psaux instead of dev/mouse took me
> forever to figure out.  (And as described above it still doesn't work in
> X).
/dev/mouse only exists as a symbolic link to the appropriate port.

> P.S. My inexperience means that telling me to install foo won't help at
> all. You have to say where foo is, how I'd find it from a bash shell and
> exactly what I type to install it.  I appreciate the verbosity.
To install *any* package:
$ su
# apt-get update
# apt-get install foo
Assuming you have your /etc/apt/sources.list setup correctly. I'd suggest:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian <rel> main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US <rel>/non-US main contrib non-free

Where <rel> is potato, woody, or sid. (You can also choose stable, testing,
or unstable respectively.)
I'd suggest going up to woody or sid. They're both more stable than most
release operating systems, and they have much newer pieces.