Re: help

icewolf wrote:

Hey i have problems

when i finish installing woody3.0 ,

i trys to login using gnomelogin but it displays a error

X server

when i try to debug it it simply doesnt do anything can u help me out?

This is a bit skimpy on info.

Here's what I would recommend:

I assume by "gnomelogin" you mean "gdm". Run the command "/etc/init.d/gdm stop". Then edit /etc/init.d/gdm and make the first executable line say:
   exit 0
This will disable gdm for debugging purposes. Once you get X working, you can re-enable gdm by removing the "exit 0" line and then running "/etc/init.d/gdm start".

Now, try to start X by typing "startx 2> startx.log". This will try to start X, and will log any error messages to the file "startx.log" (in the directory from which you start X, presumably your home directory).

If X works, great; you now know the problem is related to gdm. If X doesn't work, post the contents of startx.log to this list.

Kent