Re: debian and oracle clients

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 01:31:06PM -0700, Jason Majors wrote:
> I've convinced my employer to try debian for our main processing boxes, but
> have run into a few problems.
> We have Oracle 8i running on a solaris 2.6 box. The Linux boxes we use need
> to be able to connect to them as a client. We need to be able to run Pro/C
> and PL/SQL commands from our C++, so we need a library that allows that on a
> client Linux box.
> Does anybody know of a tool that does this?

I'm not sure that I fully understand you, but the library in question is
supplied as part of the Pro*C compiler package for linux (god knows what the
marketing guys call it nowadays).

Or at least: It was part of the 8.1.6 package...

Linking Pro*C programs has always been a bit "undocumented" on Unix, but
since Oracle 8 it has improved a bit. Unfortunately, on linux you
need to modify $ORACLE_HOME/precomp/admin/pcscfg.cfg to allow the Pro*C
compiler to pick up the C include files: follow
    lists.debian.org/debian-user/2001/debian-user-200109/msg00272.html

I managed to get a sample Pro*C program running here in the space of 20
minutes, so it's certainly possible. Contact me off-list if you need the
sample program/Makefile

HTH
--
Karl E. Jørgensen