Re: [HELP] RAID chunk-size

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002 13:48, Alvin Oga wrote:
> chunk size does NOT matter for raid5...

Chunk size does not matter for RAID-1, but does matter for other RAID levels.

> if your disk was partitioned as... 2K bytes/inode...

You probably mean 2K blocks.  The number of bytes per inode just determines
the size of the inode tables.

>From the man page:
       chunk-size size
              Sets the stripe size to size bytes.  Has  to  be  a
              power  of  2  and has a compilation-time maximum of
              4M. (MAX_CHUNK_SIZE in the kernel  driver)  typical
              values are anything from 4k to 128k, the best value
              should be determined by experimenting  on  a  given
              array, alot depends on the SCSI and disk configura­
              tion.

> it also makes a difference if you used a inode size of 1K or 2K or 4k
> during disk partitioning
> 	- lots of little files or  few huge/gigantic files  ??

If you have lots of little files then if you want good write performance then
you want RAID-1 or RAID-10.  RAID-5 is the cheap alternative.