Re: disable xdm

> how can I disable xdm and boot into terminal mode.  I prefer to use startx.

$ zgrep -A27 'How do I stop xdm from starting at boot?' \
--
*) How do I stop xdm from starting at boot?

This is a very common question from people who have upgraded from
Debian 2.0
or earlier, before the xdm program was separated out into its own
package.
Exactly how you deal with this depends on exactly what you want.  Note
that
the following techniques all require root privileges.

  + I don't want xdm to run at all.

    In that case, simply remove or purge the xdm package with dpkg.  If
you
    have xbase installed, remove that before or simultaneously; xbase
depends
    on xdm.  See /usr/share/doc/xfree86-common/README.Debian-upgrade
for more
    information.

  + I don't want xdm to manage any local servers.

    Edit /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers and remove any lines that correspond to
the
    local host.  This file ships with only one entry, for :0.  If you
    comment that out, xdm will start but will not try to manage any X
    servers at all (unless you have added lines to the file).

  + I don't want xdm to manage any remote servers.

    Edit /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers appropriately.  Note that as this file
    ships, it does not manage any remote servers, so unless you have
    already edited this file (or borrowed someone else's), no change is
    necessary from the package default to realize this state.

--

    Shaul Karl
    email: shaulka(at-no-spam)bezeqint.net