Problems with dselect: always wants to install same 71 packages

I'm evaluating Debian as the possible Linux distro to ship on a
SBC/PC104 product.  So, I've been trying to install 2.2r5 on an
old 486 machine with 28M of RAM and 265M of disk space.  It's
not going well...

I do rescue/boot/drivers from floppies, then base via network.

I add packages for the "C development" task, since I need to
compile an extra driver module.

Everything _seems_ to go smoothly, and it tells me the install
is done.

I log in as root, and run dselect.  I scroll through the
packages selection list without changing anything.

When I do the "Install" step, it always wants to install a
whole bunch of packages (71 to be exact) including such
disk-hogs as emacs.

I never selected any of those packages for installation.  Why
does dselect want to install them?

I've reinstalled twice from scratch, and it has done the same
thing every time.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com