Re: Redhat to Debian?

Be nice guys, advocate not procrastinate.

Primary differences I have encountered:

1. /etc/modules
Here you can list modules you want loaded, ie Drivers

2. /etc/network/interfaces
Here you configure your interfaces.  See "man 5 interfaces", 	See below
for a quick example.

3. dpkg / apt
No RPM, which isnt really a problem most everything can be done through
apt.  See the various man pages, plus I believe there is a FAQ/HOWTO on
apt/dpkg somewhere on the Debian site.

Other than that, I cant really think of many other differences.

To install there are many ways.  The easiest is to download the latest
stable Debian and adjust your /etc/apt/sources.list to point to at least
woody, and "apt-get install" your favorite software.  Couldnt be easier.

My wife has found Debian to be easier to use than Red Hat actually.  Apt
is great for administration.  I would love to see apt become the
universal tool in Linux.

As promised, my /etc/network/interfaces:

-- CUT HERE --
# Used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8). See the interfaces(5) manpage or
# /usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples for more information.
auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet static
	address 192.168.0.254
	netmask 255.255.255.0
-- CUT HERE --

I use PPP for my public interface, and that was configured by Debian.
Oh, and your hostname is configured in /etc/hostname.  To use DHCP I
believe all you need to do is change static to dhcp and leave off
address and netmask.