ALSA install steps???

hello:

I have a new question about building the alsa driver.
Recently, I downloaded the alsa tarball from ALSA website and
configure;make;make install.
Now I want to find out the apt method.

I lookup the the package list, I found serveral alsa packages
such as alsa-source,alsa-headers,libasound1...

Now my question is "What should I do to build alsa drivers???"

I tested the alsa-source.

My step was like below:

1. apt-get install alsa-source-0.5

2. cd /usr/src/

3. tar zxf alsa-driversxxxx

4. cd modules

5. cd debian

6. dpkg-buildpackage
(some errors happened)

So I tried not to use the dpkg-buildpackage

7. cd ../

8. configure;make;make install

Was that the right way to build alsa drivers???

I hope not. Please help me to figure the right way to do it.
Thanks a lot