Re: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

Karsten M. Self, Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 11:28:18AM -0800:

> For a fork, I'd suspect you're out of user processes, though checking
> other resource limits (generally memory and filehandles) is adviseable.
>
> There are hard-compiled limits of 256 user, and 512 system, processes,
> in the 2.2.x kernels. These limits are raised in the 2.4 kernels, though
> I don't know the values offhand.

IIRC, the 2.4 limits can be configured at runtime.  I think it's in
/etc/security/limits.conf.

> The value can be raised, but you have to edit sources to do so at least
> through 2.2.x -- there is _no_ configuration option for this value.

NR_TASKS in include/linux/tasks.h

> I ran into similar issues with exim, procmail, and spam-filtering
> software a few weeks ago.  I tuned my mail configuration to keep from
> launching a large number of exim processes and the problem went away.
> Multi-threaded applications are particularly prone to this issue.

I use ulimit to do this in init.d startup scripts.  Works pretty good.

Brought to you by Debian 3.0
Linux took 2.4.16 #1 SMP Sat Jan 5 12:52:24 EST 2002 i686 unknown