Re: Java not working in Galeon/Mozilla

Patrick Kirk, Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 10:05:58PM +0000:
> What ? Does this mean I need to reboot into Windows to run Java apps?
> Please say not - my wife's laptop has died.  The icq is for her.  So far
> over the past week, she has moved from her Windows laptop to my XFCE
> desktop with no comments or complaints.  But if I can't get her ICQ
> working, then we're regressing instead of advancing.
>
> Surely there is some other Linux jvm that doesn't die upon contact with
> Java?

OK, it IS possible to get Java running, as it works on mine and the ICQ
applet came up with no problems.  I am running:

ii  mozilla-browse 0.9.8-2        Mozilla Web Browser - core and browser
ii  mozilla-psm    0.9.8-2        Mozilla Web Browser - Personal Securit

IIRC, this is how i got it to install:

1.  Start browser as root (need to be root to use the XUL(?) install
stuff, and there are no userspace plugins in mozilla).  Trying to
install is guaranteed failure.

2.  go to java.sun.com.  a dialog should pop up asking if you want to
install a java plugin. Follow the instructions to install the plugin.
Pretty much automatic.

3.  exit browser. start as normal user.

The pluign will be installed to /usr/lib/mozilla, and as I was writing
this I notice a java control panel applet at:

file:///usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/java2/ControlPanel.html

The java support in mozilla is way better than it was in 4.77.  I never
used to run java becuase it almost always crashed my browser.  Now, the
worst that happens is that the applet does nothing, but most applets
work.