Re: Printing question - samba stuff

hi ya

> Alan & Kerry Shrimpton(loverslane.poodles@ihug.co.nz) is reported to have said:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I know most people have their Linux box connected to the net.  I have my
> > windows machine.
> >
> > I know most people probably have their printers connected to their Linux
> > machine.  I have it connected to my windows machine.
> <--snip-->
> >
> > That is my situation and now to my real question.
> >
> > 1.  How the heck do I see my windows machine on my Linux machine?
> > 2.  How do I get my Linux machine to print using my printer hardware
> > connected to my windows machine?
>
> samba

-- am gonna assume your pritner is working on the linux side...
	both both text and postscript stuff prints fine...

to configure samba...

	/etc/samba/smb.conf

...  make sure you have these types of  stanza ...

# NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   guest ok = no
   printable = yes
   print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r  %s ;  rm %s
   printer = xerox
   printing = BSD
   read only = yes

#
# tom's linux-based Home directories that is accessible on WinXX
#
[tom]
   comment = Tom's Win98 Backup
;
;  caution: Requires chmod 777 /opt/home/bklein
   path = /opt/home/bklein
;
;  need to be browsable for  network neighborhood and smbclient -U# -L
   localhost
   browseable = yes
;  public = no
   writable = yes
   valid users = tom
;   printable = no
;   create mask = 0765

restart samba...

# Check this config file
# ----------------------
#       testparm
#       testprns xerox /etc/printcap
#
#       smbclient -U% -L localhost
#       nmblookup WORKGROUP#1B

Make sure that you run smbpasswd... if the WinXX is to be able to print
to the printer connected to the linux box

	linux# cd /etc/samba ; smbpasswd -a tom

-- and dont forget to fix lots-o-security issues in the samba config file
   after it starts to work..
	- limit access to only inside your corp lan... and not the outsideworld

c ya
alvin