Re: Segfaults in seemingly unrelated programs

On Sun, 2002-02-03 at 04:52, Rick Macdonald wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Feb 2002 jim@leary.csoft.net wrote:
>
> > Due to a faulty fan, one CPU overheated and brought the system down. On
> > restart, fsck indicated that some filesystem corruption occured.
> >
> > On startup, gdm would not start. After entering my username in the
> > console, the login prompt came back without giving me the opportunity to
> > enter my password. The logical next step, booting in single user mode.
> >
> > In single user mode, it quickly appeared that a few programs segfault.
>
> I had similar symptoms once. Segfaults and apparently corrupted disk
> files. It turned out to be a bad memory SIMM. Try running memtest86 for
> awhile (10 minutes to an hour or more; depends on how much memory you have
> and how fast the cpu is).

To make a looong story short, I swapped out the hard disk, the
controller, the cables and all memory before concluding that a heavy CPU
load reliably produced corruption and/or a system freeze and finding out
this was caused by faulty cooling on the first CPU. I have an Asus
P2B-DS, and I can provide more detail about this horror story if anyone
wishes. Why isn't there more space between the two processor slots on
this otherwise good board ?

> After I replaced the memory, I reinstalled all packages "in-place"
> (declining any config files) to refresh any files that may have been bad.
> Made me feel better, at least.

Already did that once in a past accident on the same machine, but for at
the time unknown reasons. That time, pppd was still running and a little
"for" loop running on the package list that apt gave me did the trick.
Today, I guess I'll have to burn a few CDs...