Re: 2.2r5: ReiserFS at Root Partition

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 09:06:46 -0900, Greg C. Madden wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-02-02 at 05:11, debian@phpinfo.at wrote:
> > Is it possible to choose ReiserFS in the 2.2r5 setup routine as standard
> > Filesystem instead of ext2 ?
>
> No, filesystem support is supplied by the kernel and that version of
> Debian does not use a kernel with Reiser support.

There are unofficial boot-floppies for potato available that do offer
installation on reiserfs: http://freshmeat.net/projects/debian-reiser/

Personally, I currently prefer ext3. Reiserfs has a nice design, but its
fsck is reportedly very immature compared to the ext[23] one, so that if
things do go wrong, they tend to go wrong extremely thoroughly.

For an ext3 install of potato, just do a regular install of potato on ext2,
upgrade to Adrian Bunk's update packages for running a 2.4 kernel, build a
2.4 kernel, tune2fs -j your ext2 partitions, edit fstab, boot to the new
kernel.

HTH,
Ray
--
Ziff Davis is so obviously biased to Microsoft in almost everything they
publish, that they might as well change their company name to MS-PRAVDA.