Re: Netscape4, Mozilla - Now what is X? - How to stop X?

I think before sending him to FAQ you could have given
him a quick answer and then refer him to the URL. The
most discouraging thing in Linux for a beginner is to
start going through thousands of pages of man, FAQs
and HOWTOs which are long in first place, and
difficult to understand for a new convert.
 To answer the question:
     I don't know how it is with debian, but in
slackware you go and edit the file /etc/rc.d/rc.local,
comment out (put #) at the beginning of the line which
has the name xdm (or kdm or gdm, depending whether you
use raw xdm, KDE or Gnome display managers). This way
next time you boot your machine it will bring you to a
prompt similar to DO$, where you can log in with your
user name and password. To start X you will type
startx at the prompt (after logging in of course!) To
go out of X you either go out through the procedure of
your window manager (you should have a menu item for
logging out) or you press Ctrl + Alt + Backspace.

Regards
Ibrahim

http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/xdm-disable.html