Re: kernel-package and moving the old vmlinuz

Manoj Srivastava declaimed:
> 	Hmm. I think I know what is going on here, but just to make
>  sure I am not totally off base here: You have instructed your boot
>  loader to expect an initrd kernel (and that is required to load the
>  newer official kernel images), and were trying to build an ordinary
>  kernel image, correct?

That's it exactly. And while the docs do have a note about adding the
initrd command to LILO, they don't mention the make-kpkg initrd option.

Of course, I wasn't trying to use initrd on purpose. What I did was
install the 2.4.17-686 image, then use its config file as a base, tweak
the options I wanted to change (scsi emulation for my CD-R, matrox
framebuffer support, turn off a bunch of stuff I know I don't have), and
build.

This seemed like the safest procedure for an infant kernel hacker
like myself, since the installed 686 kernel worked just fine.

Thanks! Paul
--
Paul Mackinney       |   Another look at Sept 11
paul@mackinney.net   |   http://www.copvcia.com/