Re: man page errors

Colin Watson wrote:

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 05:30:24PM +1100, Andrew Nesbit wrote:

Whenever I try to view manpages that don't exist on my system, I get the following error:

man: can't open /usr/X11R6/man/man1/bitmap.1x: No such file or directory
man: warning: /usr/X11R6/man/man1/atobm.1x.gz: bad symlink or ROFF `.so' request

and then I have to press ^C get back to the prompt, at which point I also get:

man: can't remove /tmp/zmanBrjbA6: No such file or directory

Yeah, man-db in potato was pretty broken in a number of ways.

Since upgrading, this problem has gone away, and things are much smoother.

man-db in woody won't do this. Maybe I should produce a version
backported to potato?

Hmm, could be an idea. I think the main motivation for this should be that Potato is supposed to be the rock-solid version, and so one would expect everything to function without these sorts of glitches.

OTOH, with a stable Woody release just around the corner, this mightn't so necessary.

-Andrew