Re: Total lockups - could it be my ISP?

On Sunday 06 January 2002 01:59 am, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 04 Jan 2002, ben wrote:

> > > Yes: 2.4.1.uus-1 on both.
> >
> > so what are you actually doing, what apps are running when the system
> > locks up? you also mentioned that there were some other previous
> > difficulties using the free isp--what kind of problems were occurring
> > before?
>
> In all cases I was doing fairly lengthy downloads and it occured after
> about 15 min. It doesn't happen when getting mail or news. I have had it
> using Netscape, Mozilla, and I think Lynx though I'm not sure. My modem
> is an external Courier.
>
> The ISP (NTL) used to be very good till a few months ago. Now the NTL
> newsgroups are full of complaints, mainly about dead IPs which for some
> people are almost continual. There are also difficulties connecting,
> dropped lines, and slow downloads. In other words, almost every problem
> you can think of. Why do we continue to use NTL? Well, (a) it used to be
> good, and (b) if you make more than 15 pounds worth of voice calls a
> month your internet calls are free (though this is about to change).

all i can think of to suggest is to check all available logs for clues about
the system activity at the time of the freeze. since this seems to happen
regularly, it shouldn't be too hard to organize.
do you have any kind of power management installed? you might want to check
the time it takes from the start of a lenghty download to the moment of the
crash. if the time period is always the same, ie not random, it increases
your chances of tracking down the cause. you should also check the use rules
for ntl, to find out if anything in your machine configuration conflicts with
those rules.
sorry, that's all i can come up with.