Re: Gnome & GDM - root login?

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002 20:46:30 -0500, Michael Dickey <mdickey@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Seems a silly question, but...
> Just installed Gnome & GDM on my son's computer along with a lot of the
> Debian-junior packages. Now I find that I cannot login as root - I always get
> the message "The system administrator is not allowed to login from this
> screen" I can do some system admin stuff from an xterm if I su root, but how
> do I actually do a root login and use Gnome as root so I can configure it?

A while back, the gtk and GNOME folks stated that due to the complex nature
of a GUI architechture, that they couldn't guarantee that running Gtk
programs as root wouldn't cause problems, and perhaps present security
holes.  Sometime after that GDM got a configuration option to disallow
root logins.  This feature is turned on by default.  You can disable it
in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf by setting "AllowRoot=true", under the [security]
section.

You can also run GUI programs via an xterm after an "su", by using
xauth.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>