Re: Still can't install :-(

On Sunday 06 January 2002 9:07 am, Penguin wrote:
> I am still having problems installing Potato. I always use `simple' install
[snip]

> I am still having problems installing Potato. I always use `simple' install

Posting the same text twice will not get you twice the answers :-)

> mode and not select X, so I can install the unofficial XFree 4.x debs from
> someone who is listed in Debian (http://people.debian.org/~someone) I
> think... anyway I tried listing all the packages at once on the command
> line with dpkg but that didn't work either, I got the same problem over and
> over again (can't install because I have xfree-common 3.x when I need
> xfree-common 4.x).

A bit more specific - what is in your /etc/apt/sources.list?

Why also, if you are prepared to play with xfree 4, don't you just update to
woody or sid these are already in there

Also I can't compile the NVIDIA drivers because the damn
> stupid Makefile is fucked! Why does it have to be so complicated??? I don't
> know.

Lots of nice info here on how it doesn't work would help.  One suspect is
that NVIDIA needs the kernel headers and is looking in /usr/src/linux/ for
them.  You need to tell make where to look (see docs in the NVIDIA
directory).  The other is that it probably needs (not sure) a 2.4 kernel and
potato is a 2.2 one.  Anyway, I roll my own kernel from source anyway - so I
have a 2.4 kernel sitting in /usr/src/linux - I compile the kernel and
install it - reboot into it in single mode (so X doesn't start) and then
remake NVIDIA_kernel and NVIDIA_GLX - I control-D out of single and debian
then starts me up multiuser with the NVIDIA driver installed.

> I'm going to complain to NVIDIA for a start ;) and flame them about their
> stupid drivers that never compile.

Sure that will make a great difference!

> Also, do you know for certain that I can cure the problem once and for all
> to force an install of the XFree 4 debs, fix the Makefile to just compile
> all the NVIDIA drivers and install them. I know I have the correct drivers.
> Can someone help me with the NVIDIA makefile? It's just a small Makefile,
> only a few lines, perhaps max 10 C language files to compile plus headers.

I hope the above does help - but just one other point.  If you really insist
on having only debian potato and not upgrading it - then you probably can't
just install xfree4 debs.  In that case you need to start exploring
/etc/apt/preferences and have both potato and woody in your sources.list

- --

  Alan - alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk