RE: [OT] Compaq bios

Henrik Enberg <henrik@enberg.org> wrote:

A somewhat offtopic question, does anyone know how to turn of PnP in a
Compaq Presario (5900T) bios?  It is doing bad stuff to my ethernet
card.

Henrik
--

This is from my rather senile memory <g>. I don't have a Compaq here, but I recall seeing something on this about a year ago....dunno if it will help or not. As I recall, the wording of the appropriate Compaq BIOS setting is quite different from that of AWARD BIOS, and can be confusing.

Search throught the BIOS settings and see if there is one that identifies the type of OS installed (M$ Windows, OS2, etc). There should be a setting there for "Other". That is the one you want to use with Linux kernels 2.2.X, and will let the BIOS do its own PNP stuff, which is what you want it to do. If it thinks there is a PnP OS installed it gets "lazy" and lets the OS handle things.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-