What part of X causes major display problems?

I have just upgraded X from 3.3.6 to 4.1.0. After
completing the upgrade, I changed from tty1 to X's
display and saw the image on the screen consisted of
vertical lines running down my display, the top of the
lines were 1 pixel in width and the bottom width was 3
pixels, with 2 wide black horizontal lines running
across it. Only the highlighted edges of the login box
appeared. No mouse cursor or text is visible on the
screen. This continued after rebooting, but the
colours of the lines sometimes changes after
rebooting.

When Ctrl+Alt+Bksp is pushed, I see tty1 for a moment,
the screen goes black, then, a few seconds later, the
screen goes back the way it was. It is possible to
login and out when the screen is like this, the cursor
is visible as 2 short horizontal lines with a width of
1 pixel.

How can I find out what part of X is causing this
problem? All of the bug reports of similar problems
that I have seen and checked are at least half a year
old, and all say that it was fixed in the latest
version, and these are in older package versions than
mine.

Thanks for any help,

Seneca
seneca@slemish.com