apt-get, dpkg coruption

Hi

I'm new to debian, but not new to Linux, I've run slackware as my
primary OS for the past 4 years.

Anyway, I decided to use Debian for a new system I'm setting up (mainly
because the sparc-slackware port is way out of date, and unusable).
While using apt-get to install gdm after the initial install, i got a
kernel panick.  This was a new 2.4.17 kernel compiled with egcs64.

Well, somehow, my dpkg database, or files or something got totaly
corupted.  When I go to install any package, it says

(Reading database ... dpkg: error processing tcsh_6.10-0.2_sparc.deb :
  files list file for package 'gdm' contains empty filename
Errors were Encountered while processing:
  tcsh_6.10-0.2_sparc.deb
Processing was haltd because there were too many errors.

Is there any way to forceably purge all records of the gdm package out
of the dpkg database, and then re-install it via apt-get, dpkg, etc...

btw, there was filesystem corruption on my /var partision that required
running fsck manualy in single-user mode.

--

<see http://www.geekcode.com/geek.html for translation>