Re: Toms Root Boot ElTorito Image

On Tuesday 01 January 2002 03:33, Penguin wrote:
> When I burn this onto a CD, does it matter if I burn track-at-once as
> opposed to CD-at-once or whatever; and when I use the boot options,
> should I choose the floppy image boot, hard disk image boot, or no
> disk emulation boot?
>
> Thx heaps.

Basically, you're talking of two operations. Your first question refers
to the burning proper, which is handled by the program cdrecord. I'm
not sure but for something as small as TRB, burning TAO vs. Disk At
Once is a matter of your CDRW supporting the feature. TAO should
however be fine for burning pure filesystems (as opposed to burning raw
CD audio or VCD data or the like).

Your second question refers to the CD filesystem creation process,
which is handled by the program mkisofs. Since TRB is a floppy image
(something you can dump to a floppy disk) and the El Torito standard
was devised as a workaround for putting such images onto CDROMs, the
floppy boot is the recommended and perhaps only possible option. I
don't even know if mkisofs will accept the other options.

--
Sir Isaac Newton:
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."