Re: Command for random? recursive?

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 11:37:31AM +0900, Elijah wrote:

> 1. How do you perform a command to do things recursively? for example
> mplayer -vo xv -ao sdl *.mpg doesn't seem to work, also when I'm
> making zTXT files - mkztxt *.txt

Take a look at shell scripting.  Some applications natively support the
type of globbing that you're attempting with the above commands, but
many don't.  In cases where they don't, you'll need to gather the files
and feed them to the application.  This can easily be done with a few
shell script lines.

A good place to start is:

   http://www.neoteric.nu/tutorials/bash.html
and
   http://www.digitaltoad.net/docs/guide/advshell/

> 2. Now if I'm now able to do things recursively for mplayer and other
> commands, is there a way to use that command to randomly select a
> file?  I figure it would be nice to have mplayer view my clips
> randomly.

Again, shell scripting will help you here.

> 3. Is there a way to re-position the window once it opened? mplayer
> always shows up in the upper left corner of the screen, which is
> annoying so what command or option do I need to position it somewhere
> I like?

This would greatly depend on your window manager.  Which window manager
are you using?

--
Jamin W. Collins