RE: Secure CGI Implementation (PARTIAL SOLUTION)

Well you may not have know there was a problem. The dialog was why can't I
get CGI working with two VirtualHosts. Then I went down the long trail of
trying to set up CGI outside of the DocumentRoot. I moved everything down a
notch and then also down a notch within each user's space. Absolutely
nothing I did thereafter brought the slightest hint that CGI would ever work
again. I cannot state with absolute certainty that I tried every single
combination of user, group, and permissions and every variation on
cofiguring the apache httpd.conf, or read every single document describing
apache configuration for VirtualHosts but I believe I tried most of them,
and read many. ZipNada.

Bill Moseley's run through a number of possible layouts proved to have at
least gotten me back to square one (one CGI bin working). He mentioned
SuEXEC...and gave me a link to the Apache doc on the subject. I have SuEXEC
installed, and apparently working fine as it is supposed to do. Except that
it does not, for security and efficiency reasons, endquote, work below the
first level of the Server's DocumentRoot, or the First Level under the
VirtualHost DocumentRoot.

So I moved everything back up a notch.

Tomorrow I see if I can get the second CGI bin to work now that I have a
small understanding the role of SuEXEC.

Best Wishes!
Mike Olds www.buddhadust.org