Re: Can only login as root

    "mjoyce" == mjoyce  <matt> writes:

    mjoyce> Hi,

    mjoyce> I have a Woody v3.0 with a 2.4.18 kernel.

Okay.

    mjoyce> I can only login as root, if I try to login as anyone else
    mjoyce> it does not even ask for a password, it juts says 'Login
    mjoyce> incorrect'.

This is usually set up via /etc/pam.d/login file. The default setting
will stop login attempts by anyone but root if a /etc/nologin file
exists.

    mjoyce> Regardless of which username I enter it always says
    mjoyce> 'System bootup in progress - please wait'

Sure sounds like an /etc/nologin file with those words in it. Login as
root and confirm that this file exists with that message.

    mjoyce> My Samba does not work, nor can I use Swat.

    mjoyce> There is something wrong with autentication.

    mjoyce> What can I do to trouble shoot this issue ?

My guess is your system is not booting completely. Look into
/etc/inittab to determine what your default run level is. For example,
you might see a lines like this

# The default runlevel.
id:2:initdefault:

which mean your default run level is 2. If you have a different run
level and it is not a value between 2 and 5 let us know. You probably
simply want to change it to 2.

Then look in /etc/rc2.d/ for a file called S99rmnologin (it might not
be exactly S99, but that is what it usually is). If the file exists,
the problem is that you system is running the boot scripts but getting
hung in one of them before it gets to S99rmnologin. Watch the boot
sequence carefully to determine what the last thing done is and let us
know if that does not help.

I could go on, but hopefully this will get you started.

Cheers!
Shyamal