Re: Loopback file system encryption with kernel-source-2.4.19?

Stefan Radomski <sr@oop.info> writes:

> to use filesystem encryption via the loopback-device, you need the
> cryptoapi and the patch for the loopback device (eg. loop-jari).
>
> You get 'ioctl: LOOP_SET_STATUS: Invalid argument' because the loop
> device loaded in the kernel is not patched, build the loop device as
> module, the 'right' one is called 'cryptoloop'.
>
> The relevant modules from my lsmod output:
> cipher-aes             21172   2
> cryptoloop              1708   2
> loop                   10032   4  [cryptoloop]
> cryptoapi               3660   5  [cipher-aes cryptoloop]

Many thanks, Stefan, for these (and other) helpful pointers.

My problem turned out to be a simple one, which I'll document here,
for the record.  I wanted to do this the Debian Way, so I installed
cryptoloop-source and ran make-kpkg.  The loop-jari patch said it
applied correctly, despite the version mismatch between my 2.4.19
kernel and the 2.4.18 patch version.

The bug was simple: I hadn't unpacked the module source in
/usr/src/cryptoloop.tar.gz, so the cryptoloop module wasn't compiled.
Easily fixed, once I figured that out.

Thanks for the help,
--
  Jack O'Quin