Re: Desktop Performance Issue

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002, Alvin Oga wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Dec 2002, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
> >    >From: "Bruce Sass"<bsass@edmc.net>

> >    >> /sbin/hdparm -d 1 /dev/hd[abc]
> >    >>
> >    >> Works like a treat!
> >    >
> >    ># hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda
> >    >
> >    >/dev/hda:
> >    > setting using_dma to 1 (on)
> >    > HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
> >    > using_dma    =  0 (off)
> >
> > Do it as root

of course

> sometimes .. you have to make sure that the chips and
> the drive supports DMA ...
> 	- ( check the kernel IDE/dma options )

I think it is the chips which don't do DMA.
circa 1990 hardware

> and if hdparm was in your bootup files, it should have worked...

...it should not matter if done in /etc/init.d/hwtools, or from a
command line after boot, right?

hmmm...
# CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO is not set
# CONFIG_DMA_NONPCI is not set
...and I don't have the kernel source installed to check why I didn't
select these (I had no probs using DMA for sound, the only other DMA
a grep through the .config turned up).

but, aside from maybe installing a different kernel and trying DMA
again... (got a BIOS recognizing hda prob to fix first ;)

I'm curious about the PIO modes, and if one of those is what is being
used.  Since the drive is defaulting to a DMA mode but the OS isn't
doing DMA, is the system falling back to PIO and should explicitly
selecting the best PIO mode be expected to improve performance.

gotta lot of reading and fiddling to do

- Bruce