Building i686 optimized packages from source

Hi,

I wonder whether anyone could help me with this:

I am installing Debian on my new laptop. And I thought I might try building i686 optimized packages from the source packages. I understand, that there is at least two ways:

1. Use the pentium-builder package and apt-get -b source and install packages.
2.  Use apt-build.

Which method do you recommend?

In your opinion, is the performance gain really worth the effort of compiling from source?

TIA,

xio