Re: How to pass in a password to the ssh command line client?

on Wed, Dec 25, 2002 at 08:28:29PM +0000, David Goodenough (david.goodenough@btconnect.com) wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 December 2002 17:38, Mariano Kamp wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >   I am using eclipse (http://eclipse.org) to access a cvs repository by
> > using ext:. The problem is that it asks for the ssh password on the
> > command line. Anything I can do to pass it in automatically?

<...>

> You can not do it directly, but if you use ssh-agent and ssh-add you can
> add the ID file and open it with your password before you start eclipse.
>
> If you are using KDE you may find that ssh-agent is already started, and
> all you need is to call ssh-add.

ssh-agent is highly recommended, and as David notes, you'll likely find
you need only supply it with your passphrase.

If you need to run unattended sessions or operations, you might also
look into the forced command option of ssh.

Peace.