Re: Problems with Install of Woody from CD (and Network)

I'm fairly new to Debian too. It took me a while to get the 1st install done
due to hardware problems. I have since discovered that I only needed the 1st
CD to do a network install. But if you don't have at least DSL, it's gonna
take forever. Also, and this is a matter of philosophy, you'll find that
what gets included in the unstable release is generally a version or 2
behind what the other distributions included in their last release. That,
and that configuring apt-get to do what you want it to is difficult to say
the least. Though to be fair, it does do a good job of getting the basic
stuff. I've not been able to get an X server/desktop environment, or a mail
reader, or a decent editor going either.

I'm just about to give up on Debian. there's nothing it can do poorly that I
haven't been able to do better in RedHat (so far).