Re: ext3 filesystem error

On Tue, 24 Dec 2002 11:48:03 -0600 (CST)
Russ Cook <russcook@flash.net> wrote:

> My hard drive is set up with /dev/hda1   /boot
> and /dev/hda2   /
> /dev/hda3 is my swap space.
>
> When I edit /etc/fstab to set /dev/hda2 and /dev/hda1 to ext3 instead
> of ext2, I get the error:
> kernel: ext3: No journal on filesystem on ide0(3,1)
> My file /etc/mtab shows /dev/hda2 mounted as ext3, but /dev/hda1
> does not mount.  I have no /boot directory.
> If I change the /etc/fstab file to mount /dev/hda2 as ext3 and
> /dev/hda1 as ext2, then both are mounted without errors.  Can anyone
> point out my problem?
>
> Thanks,
> 	Russ

Howdy Russ,

I know this sounds obvious, but perhaps you haven't created a journal on
hda1 yet? To quote the ext3 mini howto:

"An ext2 filesystem may be converted to ext3 by creating a journal file
on it.  To do this, run

tune2fs -j /dev/hdXX

on the target filesystem.  The filesystem is now ext3!
Note that the filesystem need not be unmounted for this
operation."

The full mini howto can be found at:
http://www.symonds.net/~rajesh/howto/ext3/toc.html

HTH,
Jacob

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

In a world without fences, who needs Gates?
http://www.linux.org/