Re: Speaking of ntp, yes CD-R does mess with the clock!

On Wed, 25 Dec 2002, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 24, 2002 at 06:36:22AM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:

> > > Chrony is designed to work with intermittent connections.
> >
> > Any idea why it conflicts with ntpdate?  Installing it remvoed ntpdate.
> > ntp didn't conflict with ntpdate.
>
> No idea...chrony is a lot smarter than ntpdate though; it gradually
> moves your clock back and forth so that running apps don't get confused,
> as well as tracking how inaccurate your hardware RTC is, and fixing it
> while it drifts.  Overall, a very cool tool.

Maybe I missed this in the docs, but I didn't see that it updates the
hwclock during normal execution.  It can be made to update the hwclock
(the example they give is in a ppp-down.d script), but in my case the
machine boots and ppp comes up and the only time it goes down has been a
power failure.  So pp-down.d scripts are not called.

Did I miss something?

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org