killing the penguin (framebuffer)

Humble apologies for newbie ignorance.
With that said...

On bootup, I simply want to boot into a text console. I've turned
off gdm, and that gets rid of the graphical login. Unfortunately,
it seems that I boot into a VESA framebuffer. At the console
there is a penguin on the top left corner, and my text is not
proportional (the bottom line of text scrolls off the bottom of
the screen). I want to be able to see all the text, and kill this
penguin (OK, I like animals, but not on my computer screen -
reminds me of Microsoft's Clippy).

In SuSE and Mandrake, I've seen this before. It's usually due to
a line in lilo.conf (or grub's menu.lst) saying "vga=771" or some
other number. Setting it to "vga=normal" gets rid of it. But that
doesn't work in Debian. Somewhere is a setting to turn off the
VESA framebuffer so I can just boot into plain text, but I
haven't been able to find it.

I'll be eternally grateful to anybody who can tell me how to kill
the penguin.

regards,
Robert Storey