Re: Modem dials without dialtone?

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 04:03:32PM -0600, Brooks R. Robinson wrote:
| | | Yes.  My Zoom modem does it too.  Very irritating.
| | Anyone have any ideas whether it can be fixed via a setting, or
| | recommend an external hardware modem available at a reasonable price in
| | the UK that won't dial if it doesn't have a dial tone?
|
| It can be fixed with a setting.  I don't remember off the top of my head,
| but I recall doing so back in the day...  (I also had to get a modem to
| <purposely> dial without tone!!)  Check the modem documentation for one of
| those lovely & commands.

It seems there are lots of people with that problem.  When I googled for
things related to modem dialtone and so on, there were plenty of answers to
that question, but not the one I was asking!  Anyway... the modem
documentation consists entirely of Windows installation instructions.

Thanks for the help so far... if anyone comes across the setting to make a
modem not dial when people are talking, please let us know!

Randy