Re: [OT] Remember when hard disk sizes were in MiB?

Thus spake Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net):

> On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 13:42, Narins, Josh wrote:
> > Yeah, I remember when we just had rocks and sticks.
>
> Don't be snide, you young whippersnapper!  I'm not even 40...  A former
> boss of mine worked on the IBM 1403, which had hard disks, but only the
> most minimal OS.  Thus, one had to remember which cylinder/sector that
> your file started on.

I don't go back to the 1403, although the first program I ever wrote
was for an IBM 7090, but even the 370 "lite" OS, DOS, sometimes
required this knowledge - for temporary files IIRC (it's been 25
years).

--
|Deryk Barker, Computer Science Dept. | Music does not have to be understood|
|Camosun College, Victoria, BC, Canada| It has to be listened to.           |