RE: xset somehow broken?

On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 10:23, DEFFONTAINES Vincent wrote:
> Sorry I meant "xset s off" below
>
> > I used to use "xset -s off" to poweroff screen blanking on X
> > when I was watching TV on my desktop in the past.
> >
> > Now it seems that this option, though remaning documented (in
> > xset manpage)
> > is broken? Running Xfree4.2 on Debian unstable, it doesnt
> > prevent the screen
> > from blanking after 20 minutes without keyboard/mouse input.
> >
> > Someone suggested I use "xset -dpms" which should perform what I wish,
> > anyway, does anyone have a clue about the "xset -s off" being
> > broken? Does
> > it deserve a bug report?

This might be obvious, but it's always best to check first. :) Do you
have xscreensaver installed and is it set to blank your screen? From the
Power Management section of the xscreensaver man page:

"As of version 3.28, the ~/.xscreensaver file controls the configuration
of your display's power management settings: if you have  used  xset(1)
to change your power management settings, then xscreensaver will
over-ride those changes with the values  specified  in  ~/.xscreensaver
(or with its built-in defaults, if there is no ~/.xscreensaver file
yet.)"

-Alex