Re: (newbie) hostname, workgroup

Am Die, 2002-12-17 um 01.29 schrieb Marvin Vek:
> debian installed nice, i can resolve it's ip in the network too, just not it's hostname niobe.

Does that mean that you can't resolv/ping your linux machine from
another computer? If so, you need to configure your local DNS.

If you dont have a DNS, you may want to edit /etc/hosts on the other
machines.

-> man hosts

> /etc/resolv.conf
> nameserver 62.216.31.50

Is this the DNS of your ISP?

> /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1       localhost
> 192.168.1.2     niobe

Looks O.k. to me.

> and where and how can i set the workgroup it has to be in?

There is no such thing in Linux.

--

Matthias Hentges
[www.hentges.net] -> PGP + HTML are welcome

My OS: Debian Woody: Geek by Nature, Linux by Choice