Pinning for downgrade problem

Hi folks!

I managed to dist-upgrade to testing when I really wanted to stay at
woody, and I have thought about downgrading the packages (it's just a
small number of them, I'm not tracking testing anymore) for some time.

Now that r1 is out (too bad somebody submitted the announcement to
Razor), I guess this is the time to do it.

I know it has been on this list before, and the answer was pretty much
"it is not supported". Also, Debian Planet had a recent story,
http://www.debianplanet.org/node.php?id=880
and downgrading is also mentioned in the APT HOWTO:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html#s-pin

So, it is just a matter of doing it right... :-)
Which I can't seem to do...

My preferences file look like this
Package:  *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 2002
That should be OK, according to the APT HOWTO, shouldn't it?

If I go:
apt-get -s dist-upgrade
it responds:
9 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
So, none to downgrade.

qpopper is an example of a package I would like to downgrade, as I have
the 4.0.4-5 version. So, if I replace the Package line with
Package: qpopper
then qpopper is scheduled for a downgrade as expected.
So, it is seems to be something wrong with the Package:  *
I have no idea what, but suggestions is greatly appreciated.

The last time I tried this, I also got problems when dpkg was to be
downgraded. It refused to do that. It was mentioned on debian-security
that you can just force it. Using force scares me of course :-) , and I
didn't want to elaborate on that on that list because it was OT, but if
anybody have advice on how to do this safely, that would be appreciated
as well.

While I'm at it, can I list the packages I have installed which are not
from stable...?

Cheers,

Kjetil
--