Problems with package dependencies.

Good Morning All,

I've got Debian 3.0 / unstable installed on my laptop and I'm having some difficulties with installing a package I need. I use Python 2.2 for a lot of small app development and a GUI toolkit for Python called wxPython (which requires Python 2.2).

Python 2.1 was installed by default. I then installed Python 2.2 as well and it's at the latest version.

---
mica root # apt-get install python2.2
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Sorry, python2.2 is already the newest version.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 8  not upgraded.
---

So now I want to install wxPython which is in the package libwxgtk2.3-python. So I try apt-get install libwx.... and it fails saying that I only have python 2.1.. instead of python 2.2. Which is true. Kind of. There is a meta package called "python" that installs the symlinks to the Python interpreter (2.1) is /usr/bin and that package is what wxPython is looking at for the version number. See below..

---
mica root # apt-get install libwxgtk2.3-python
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

libwxgtk2.3-python: Depends: python (>= 2.2) but 2.1.3-4 is to be installed
E: Sorry, broken packages
---

I've tried removing / upgrading the "python" package it's a dependency for half my system (KDE, and a lot of other stuff) so I can't really remove it. How can I convince the libwxgtk to install properly?

Thanks,
Jeff