Re: E-Mail trouble

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 11:59:40AM -0600, Larry W. Irwin Sr. wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I am a new Mutt/Exim user and have a problem sending mail. Have
| successfully sent e-mail using Mutt to another list and to an
| individual. When I try to send to debian-user@lists.debian.org or
| clown389@yahoo.com, I get the attached mails
| with the error messages.

Let's inspect the error message to see what it means.

    From: Mail Delivery System <Mailer-Daemon@RiverWillow>

This says that the error message was generated by your own machine
(since you, apparently, named it "RiverWillow").

    To: root@RiverWillow

You're sending email as root?  Shame, shame.  (you shouldn't be
sending mail as root, instead send it as your own user)  The To: line
here is the user who sent the mail that failed.  Now that user
receives the error message.

  debian-user@lists.debian.org

A message could have multiple

    SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data:
    host master.debian.org [65.125.64.135]:

exim on your system connected to "master.debian.org" (the mail
exchanger machine for @lists.debian.org addresses).  master responded
with an error code after the "data" section of the SMTP session.

    550 rejected: cannot route to sender <root@RiverWillow>

The reason master.d.o rejected the message is this.  It can't figure
out what the sender address is.

One effective tactic for reducing email-based resource wastage is
verifying that the sender address is valid.  This is also essential to
reliably guarantee delivery, as SMTP purports to do.  Some sites don't
do the verification, however.  The reason verification is important is
suppose there was an error in delivering the mail and a notification
must be sent to the sender.  If the sender's address is invalid, you
can't send them an email.  It is also a common spam tactic to use an
invalid address in an attempt to avoid being traced.

The solution, then, is to only send email with valid data.  To do
this, edit /etc/email-addresses and put a line like
    me: <riverw@bigriver.net>
(if 'me' is your username).  With this (and the default exim
configuration) exim will rewrite the sender address from the invalid
"me@RiverWillow" to the valid "river@bigriver.net".  This does mean,
however, that sending mail as root still won't work.  (but it
shouldn't, so that isn't a problem)

HTH,
-D

--
                          Your mouse has moved.
       You must restart Windows for your changes to take effect.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/