Re: what terminal type?

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 02:15:10PM +0530, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
| hello all
|
| i recently installed a package called screen. its manual says that it
| tries to provide functionality of a dec vt100 terminal.
|
| it is a good package. but i notice that colors do not appear same after
| i use it. my guess is it has something to do with the terminal type
| emulated.

A (real) vt100 has no color support.

| how do i know what terminal type is being emulated?

Inspect the emulation software and see what it can handle.

| and how do i change it?

Recode the emulator.

:-).

*However* if the emulator (screen in this case) supports a different
terminal type than the one the host software thinks it is, check the
TERM environment variable.  For example :

  # (in an xterm)
$ echo $TERM
xterm
  # (in linux console)
$ echo $TERM
linux
  # (in screen in an xterm)
$ echo $TERM
screen

I do get colors in screen on my system.  If you want to try tweaking
things, set TERM to some other value.  If the emulation software
supports the terminal you specified, it will work.  If not you'll get
a funky garbled mess (which varies depending on the degree of
incompatibility).  Simply correct the TERM setting to fix the mess.

HTH,
-D

--
All a man's ways seem innocent to him,