dhcp setup

hi all,

I'm a little confused...

I've run dhcp boxes (freesco and NAT'ing firewall routers)  so I was
expecting it to be a little easier under debian.

I'm on a fixed IP network, but there are some free addresses I'd like to
make available for guest boxes.

I thought a dhcp server would be simple, and would just take the IP configs
of the server, ask what addresses i wanted to make available and get on
with handing out the leases.

apt-cache search dhcpd

gave me an array of software all with dizzying config options.

Can anyone explain a simple way of perforing this simple task?

    Not yet is the spirit of that pristine valour
    extinct in you, when girt with steel and lofty flames
    once we fought against the empire of heaven.
    We were -- that I will not deny -- vanquished in that conflict:
    yet the great intention was not lacking in nobility.
    Something or other gave Him victory: to us remained
    the glory of a dauntless daring.
    And even if my troop fell thence vanquished,
    yet to have attempted a lofty enterprise is still a trophy.

    --From La Strage degli Innocenti (The Slaughter of the
Innocents) by Giambattista Marino (1569-1625)