Re: Depth for X. How choose colormap?

"Egor Tur" <worldeb@ukr.net> writes:
> I have some programme. When I run it with X with depth 8, I see
> error:
> Cannot allocate colormap entry for "gray"
> Cannot allocate colormap entry for "yellow2"
> and this program don't work correctly.
> When I run it with -depth 16 or 24 I don''t see these messages and
> gui work correctly.
> What can I do with my X that this program work on depth=8?

The typical answer is "start it with a private colormap".  Programs
like Netscape and occasionally Emacs and definitely "pretty" window
managers are known to eat up colormap entries, and with an 8-bit
display you only have 256 of them.  Many programs that support private
colormaps have a -private or equivalent option you can use to get
around this.

(If you have the video RAM, you're almost certainly better off using a
higher-bit-depth display; I think there are very few programs that
aggressively demand a PseudoColor visual.  Some things, like video or
3D rendering, might demand a 16-bit display over a 24-bit one.)

	-- Abra Mitchell