broken ligatures in Times with dvips -Ppdf

This may seem off-topic, but it is specific to Debian's LaTeX installation.

In general, I want to use dvips to produce postscript which is suitable for
converting to PDF as well as printing, so I use dvips -Ppdf (which uses
PostScript Type 1 fonts rather than metafont-generated bitmapped Type 3
fonts).

When using Times on another (non-Linux) system, the ligatures come out just
fine. On Debian, however, some other character is substituted for the
various ligatures. For example, the British Pound sign is substituted for
the "fi" ligature.

Note that this is only with \usepackage{times}; the ligatures are just fine
with Computer Modern (the default font). Versions:

% apt-show-versions -r tetex\*
tetex-bin/testing uptodate 1.0.7+20011202-8
tetex-base/testing uptodate 1.0.2+20011202-3
tetex-eurosym not installed: No available versions
tetex-frogg not installed: No available versions
tetex-doc/testing uptodate 1.0.2+20011202-3
tetex-extra/testing uptodate 1.0.2+20011202-3
tetex-src not installed: No available versions
tetex-frogg-doc not installed: No available versions

Does anyone have a fix? Is it a known bug or should I submit it somewhere?
Submit it where?

--Greg