"Debian Way": libapache-mod-ssl & i586-optimized libssl

Evenin'

Has anybody put together a good, clean way to get mod_ssl to use the
/usr/lib/i586/libssl.so.0.9.6 in order to gain that 2x speed boost?

Is there a better way than either LD_LIBRARY_PATH or replacing the
/usr/lib/lib{ssl,crypto}... with the i586 versions (or symlinks
thereto)?  Etiher way feels a little hacky.

The box I'm doing this is a mostly-woody box, so it may be that a later
libc6 package takes care of it automatically, but I haven't been able to
find a definitive answer yet (and don't intend to upgrade libc6 on this
box before knowing that it would solve this problem).

My hunch is that this isn't the case, since on a sid machine, ldd (and
openssl speed rsa tests) show that the loader doesn't perform any magic
to use the optimized library; I must use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to have it
loaded.

My thinking at this point is that the best way is to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH
in the apache initscript, but I'm wondering if anyone has a better
solution.

Thanks,
Vineet
--