Re: dmesg to help debug why ac97 no sound

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 12:59:55AM -0700, eric lin wrote:
>  the following dmesg seem to show it detect my ac97 is i810_audio but
> it said Primary codec not ready
>
> please help on this
> in 2.4.20 intel borad
> /* eepro is also not work, both I all put in my /etc/modules */
>
> sincere ERic
> www.linuxspice.com
> linux pc for sale
>
> eepro_init_module: Probe is very dangerous in ISA boards!
> eepro_init_module: Please add "autodetect=1" to force probe
> CSLIP: code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California
> PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
> PPP Deflate Compression module registered
> PPP BSD Compression module registered
> Intel 810 + AC97 Audio, version 0.21, 23:23:34 Nov 30 2002
> PCI: Found IRQ 3 for device 00:1f.5
> PCI: Sharing IRQ 3 with 00:1f.3
> PCI: Setting latency timer of device 00:1f.5 to 64
> i810: Intel ICH4 found at IO 0xe080 and 0xe400, IRQ 3
> i810_audio: Audio Controller supports 6 channels.
> i810_audio: Primary codec not ready.

As far as I can tell, this happens if the i810 doesn't have the ac97
codec. Assuming that it really is an i810 card [1], you might have
better luck getting a response from the linux-kernel mailing list.

[1] You've explicitly put it in /etc/modules, so who knows! Note that I
    don't have to explicitly add i810_audio to /etc/modules or
    /etc/modutils/* for my laptop; instead the kernel works it out
    automatically.

> eepro_init_module: Probe is very dangerous in ISA boards!
> eepro_init_module: Please add "autodetect=1" to force probe

The eepro module needs at least an io argument to set the I/O base
address(es), and possibly an irq argument too. You can use 'options'
lines in /etc/modutils/* to set options that are always added when
probing named modules; see the modules.conf(5) man page and remember to
run update-modules after editing files in /etc/modutils.

If it's a PCI card, you might want eepro100 instead?