Redirecting kernel console messages

How can I stop kernel messages appearing on the console or at least
redirect them somewhere else? They're already going to syslog, so I dont
need to see the stuff on the screen.

It's having two undesirable effects:

1) During bootup, init script messages and kernel messages are
intertwined. eg. "Starting <service>: <kernel message ...> done" (over
multiple lines). This makes it more difficult to see what has actually
happened. I think most of this is due to auto-module loading, so I could
get around most of it by putting those modules in /etc/modules.

2) When using the console, messages interrupt what I'm going,
particularly the iptables messages (having an always-on connection means
I drop my fair share of packets - all logged).

What I would like is for all kernel messages to go to /dev/tty1. I'd
then like init to start on tty2. No getty would start on tty1 - it would
be left for kernel messages. gettys would run on tty2-6.

I've tried setting the kernel command parameter "console=...", but it
seems the vt code in the kernel overrides this and sets the console to
be whatever vt you're currently on.

I have no idea how to get init to run on tty2 (vt code is compiled into
the kernel, so tty2 should be available to init when it starts).

Any ideas?